Friday 5 October 2012

Sunshine and Showers Part 2


But, there are a few good points about this horrendous week. And they are, in no particular order:

Reading
I've done so much reading this week. Five books this week, including Caitlin Moran's How To Be A Woman, Caitlin Moran's Moranthology (yes, I'm obsessed), and J.K. Rowling's The Casual Vacancy. First things first: Caitlin Moran is pretty much a God. The woman knows women like no other woman I've ever come across. Her How To Be A Woman made me laugh hard, and made me well up a bit. It truly is an amazing book and everyone - women, men, girls, boys, chimpanzees - should read it. It is legitimately that good.

The Casual Vacancy, however, bored me so much I thought it would be thing that finally ended my life. Harry Potter was a gigantic part of my childhood (90s child cliché) and I had such high expectations that J.K. Rowling would continue to be a part of my adult life. Oh, how wrong I was. It's not that the book was bad - it could have been a great story - it's just that it was so dull. And so forced. We get it, Jo, you're writing for grown ups now, but the vulgarity and sweary bits felt so forced. This Potterhead thinks that if the manuscript had been sent anonymously to publishers then it would've been promptly sent back (provided she had included a stamped, self addressed envelope in the mailing). Such a disappointment.

Writing
So, as I said, I had some bullying happen to me on the internet this week. It got my close family all up in arms and had me seriously questioning how certain people managed to even enter my life, never mind remain in it long enough to gang up on me like a pack of feral ferrets. But after letting them air their sordid views, I promptly blocked them, alerted them that one more mention of me on their Timelines would force me to involve the police, and got about with my life.

The feral ferrets (I might trademark that) did not completely ruin my week. Quite the contrary... They've inspired me. I'll be taking part in NaNoWriMo this year, but I'm also doing an October version. Yep, two novels before December 1st. And the feral ferrets have literally written the nasties in both novels. So much inspirations, so much material to use. Talk about making the best out of an awful situation!

Sleeping
An anaemic person is naturally tired. An anaemic person who works is so tired they've almost mastered the art of sleeping with their eyes open, typing away into Google and answering phone calls. An anaemic insomniac just doesn't understand the concept of sleep. This anaemic insomniac has been a little bit under the weather this week and has done so much sleeping. I don't think I've slept this much since I was evicted from my mother's womb. It's a revelation and I quite like it. Yes, I'm still tired, but I feel oh so refreshed. I never knew sleep was so good. I shall definitely pencil in more sleeping time throughout the rest of the year.

Spark and Mettle
I had my first Spark and Mettle Star Track hangout last night. It was amazing. I did, however, spend far too much time talking about gold stars and Blue Peter badges, and had to momentarily bail out of the hangout to rescue my slightly suicidal cat, but overall I got a good vibe from it. I really am looking forward to the next six months of the programme. It feels like it's going to be (wait for it) awesome!

So that, my friends, is why I have been absent of late. I apologise. I shall scold myself if I ever refrain from posting again.

How have your weeks been?!

2 comments:

  1. Ah the casual vacancy D: I agree completely. All the vulgarity and expletives feel like they're there for the sake of being there :/

    Good luck with the novels and forget the bullies. Some people are dicks to be frank.

    Sam
    http://artymessetc.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Samuel! You were most definitely right about The Casual Vacancy. All of the expletives were just shoehorned in. It was as if Rowling read it to herself and thought at various points "Oh, haven't sworn for a paragraph, better stick some bits in here." It was just ludicrous.

      As for your last comment - you're so right. Some people are just absolute dicks!

      Delete